Background Image

Demolished Buildings from Our Past

Board of Trade Building (1889-1949)

7th and Houston
The Board of Trade Building was a grand building at the corner of 7th and Houston for over 60 years. The Board of Trade became today’s Chamber of Commerce. The building also housed The Continental National Bank.

Continental National Bank (1952-2006)

200 W 7th St, Fort Worth, TX, United States
The sign at one time was the world's largest revolving clock, the world's largest digital clock, and the world's largest four-sided sign as once listed in the Guinness Book of World Records.

Worth Hotel (1927-1972)

NE corner of 7th & Taylor
The Worth Hotel and Worth Theater were demolished in 1972 for an addition to The Fort Worth Club.

Worth Hotel (1894-1945)

SE corner of 7th & Main
In the early 1900's the Worth Hotel was the city's largest, with August's Department Store on the ground floor. Ruth's Chris' Steakhouse occupies that spot today.

Broadway Presbyterian Church

Broadway & St Louis, demolished in 1950
The magnificent red brick and stone building had a medieval style with buttresses and towers.

First Congregational Church

SW corner of College & Pennsylvania
This photo from a city directory in 1904 is the only known reference to this church or congregation.

First Methodist Church

SE corner of 7th & Taylor
First Methodist Church broke ground on their new building on the morning of the 1929 Stock Market Crash. Nonetheless, they completed the new building on 5th Street in one year and a day and merged with Saint Paul Methodist Episcopal Church as the new First United Methodist Church.

Saint Paul Methodist Episcopal Church

NE corner of 7th & Lamar
The church moved to a new building at Burnett & Tenth in 1927 and this building was demolished to make way for construction of The Electric Building and Hollywood Theater

First Presbyterian Church (1891-1957)

5th Street and Taylor Street (now The Tower Condominium Bldg)
After moving to Taylor & 5th, Cumberland Presbyterian became "Taylor Street Presbyterian" and later "First Presbyterian Church". In 1956 they moved to the present building at 1000 Penn Street.
Tim Young

timsearch@gmail.com

Tim Young is a lifelong Fort Worth resident who enjoys learning about and sharing Fort Worth history. In addition to serving as ourFW webmaster, Tim & his wife Donna sponsor monthly walking tours of downtown Fort Worth history and architecture. Tim is Broker/Owner at Fort Worth Texas Real Estate, LLC.

No Comments

Post a Comment

You dont have permission to register

Password reset link will be sent to your email