Click on thumbnails for larger images:
Architects Hedrick and Stanley designed the Gothic Revival Sanctuary building completed in 1952. It is the fourth church building on this particular site. The congregation was organized in 1882 as the South Side Baptist Church. In 1886, a wood frame building was constructed and the congregation changed to its current name. In 1906, the first brick church building was erected here, but it burned in the Great South Side Fire of 1909. In 1910, a replacement building was constructed, and it served the church until the late 1940’s. As the church grew, education buildings were constructed to the south of the sanctuary in 1922 and 1940. In 1949, the 1910 sanctuary was demolished to build the current one, which was dedicated in 1952. The church has a very commanding presence on Fort Worth’s South Side and its steeple can be seen on the skyline in many other parts of the city. The steeple is 162 feet above the main entry door to the sanctuary. In 1961, the church expanded again, and now occupies one full city block.