In 1956, the First Presbyterian Church relocated to this site along the Trinity River bluffs. The neighborhood where the church is located was once called Quality Hill and featured many Victorian homes situated on the bluff. Today, only a small number of homes remain.
From the church website:
The Early Years…
In October of 1870, the Presbytery of Central Texas of the Presbyterian Church U.S. (Southern) named a committee to look into the formation of a new church in Fort Worth. Five to ten Presbyterians had been gathering regularly in a room over Knight’s Livery Stable at 3rd and Calhoun Streets. They were organized as the First Presbyterian Church (FPC) on May 25, 1873. In 1877, the church called its first pastor, the Reverend W.W. Brim, and built a small frame structure on Jones Street, between 1st and 2nd Streets. In the summer of 1878, a young man by the name of Stevens, a recent graduate of Trinity University with plans to attend seminary, came through Fort Worth on horseback selling magazine subscriptions. He stayed at the Daniel Hotel and learned of the hopes for a new Cumberland Church. He was invited to stay in Fort Worth and preach to the small congregation, and on September 15, 1878, the Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Fort Worth was organized. Stevens immediately approached the membership and raised $1,500 for the first building to be built at 5th and Taylor Streets. When the Cumberland Presbyterian Church moved to its new location, it became known as Taylor Street Presbyterian Church. After just over a year in Fort Worth, Mr. Stevens resigned and entered seminary. Before the turn of the century, these two small Presbyterian congregations were seeking to establish other outposts in the city. In 1883, with less than 175 members of its own, FPC formed the Broadway Presbyterian Church, later renamed St. Stephen Presbyterian Church. Another congregation, Westminster Presbyterian Church, was organized in 1902. The Taylor Street Presbyterian Church organized a new congregation, Hemphill Presbyterian Church, on the south side in 1898. By 1915, FPC (U.S.) and Taylor Street Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) had a combined membership of nearly 1,000. Plans soon got under way for a merger, and on January 30, 1916, the congregations approved the Articles of Federation for a new church, becoming the First Presbyterian Church of Fort Worth. On May 1, 1919, the First Presbyterian Church (Federated) called James K. Thompson as its first pastor. He served for 25 years. During his tenure the congregation grew from 1,100 to 1,500 members. Dr. Robert F. Jones was called as pastor on Sept. 9, 1944, and served until his retirement in 1979. Membership grew more rapidly in this period than at any other time in the congregation’s history.
A Move to Penn Street
A building committee, under the chairmanship of Dr. C.A. Hickman, found a new site just west of central downtown, and developed plans for a new church facility for this growing congregation. On December 23, 1956, the congregation worshiped for the first time in the new sanctuary at 1000 Penn Street. FPC remained from 1916 until 1961, when organic union was permitted between churches of the two denominations. FPC of Fort Worth then became the largest Union Church in our Presbyterian family. In 1973, our Centennial Year, the church hosted the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.). In 1983, a reunion of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.) and the United Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) in Atlanta led to the formation of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). From 1980-1996, Dr. Robert W. Bohl served as pastor. He placed major emphasis on corporate worship, mission giving and service/evangelism. In 1994-95 he served as Moderator of the General Assembly.
New Leadership & New Connections to the Community
After Dr. Bohl’s resignation in 1996, a nominating committee put together an interim team of ministers to provide leadership until a permanent Pastor and staff of Associate Ministers could be secured. This team was headed by Senior Interim Pastor John Ed Withers and Associate Interim Pastors John T. Conley and Sandra Kern. Their expertise and guidance during 1997 and 1998 enabled the congregation to move forward during this time of transition. From 1998-2005, Rev. Dana C. Jones led FPC in a period of membership growth and community outreach, resulting in a New Church Development in Aledo and the revitalization of Hemphill Presbyterian Fellowship. He also led the church in a visioning process that led to a master plan and successful Capital Campaign in 2005. Jones concluded his ministry here on July 31, 2005, to accept a call in Sewickley, Penn.