Background Image
1913-1918 210 Harding Street, Fort Worth, TX, United States

History

From the church website:

  • 1895     Saint James Baptist Church founded. FOUNDERS: Rev. J. Francis Robinson and thirty members formerly of the Mount Gilead Baptist Church.
  • 1910     Rev. Dr. J.H. Winn was called to pastor Saint James Baptist Church (1910-1940).
  • 1911     Between 1911 -1940 the church built and supported a Mission Station in Liberia, Africa.
  • 1912     A Special Divinity School for ministers was established in the church
  • 1913     The property was paid for and the Tabernacle (basement) was constructed.  The church’s name was Saint James Second Street Baptist Church.
  • 1913     Bible Study class began.
  • 1930     Saint James Baptist Church opened its door to the graduating classes of I.M. Terrell High School for their Baccalaureate/Vespers because there was no other African-American auditorium large enough to accommodate the classes and the audience (1930-1960).
  • 1940     Rev. Dr. W. S. Brent was called to pastor Saint James Baptist Church (1940-1950).
  • 1949     The Education Annex was built.
  • 1950     Rev. O. P. Felder was called to pastor Saint James Baptist Church (1950-1952).
  • 1952     Rev. C. A. Holliday was called to pastor Saint James Baptist Church (1952-1978).
  • 1956     Host to the General Missionary Baptist Convention of Texas.
  • 1979     Rev. Bobby Webber was called to pastor Greater Saint James Baptist Church.
  • 1982     Rev. Jerry W. Dailey was called to pastor Greater Saint James Baptist Church.
  • 1985     Rev. R. C. Johnson was called as interim pastor to Greater Saint James Baptist Church.
  • 1986     Greater Saint James Missionary Baptist Church was recorded as a Texas Historical Landmark.
  • 1987     Rev. R. C. Johnson was called to pastor Greater Saint James Missionary Baptist Church.
  • 1989     The Memorial Room was established.
  • 1995 Greater Saint James Baptist Church celebrated its Centennial year.
  • 1997 City of Fort Worth named Greater Saint James Baptist Church a city Historical Landmark.
  • 1998     Greater Saint James Baptist Church begins a Building Fund Drive for a Multipurpose Center.
  • 2014     Rev. Salestirest (Les) Brewer was called to pastor Historic Greater Saint James Baptist Church.

Architecture

This church is sitting on a raised base and consists of the main church building connected to an education building.  Both structures are brick with cast stone trim.  Each facade is framed by slightly projecting, low, square entry towers.  Between these towers is a gabled roof.  All of the windows on the front facade are of stained glass.

Amenities
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
No Reviews

Post a Comment

Comment on this Page

210 Harding Street, Fort Worth, TX, United States

Get Directions
You dont have permission to register

Password reset link will be sent to your email